Detailed guide: Accounting for EEA organisations after Brexit

Read More..

Stay up to date

The UK will leave the EU on 31 October. This page tells you how to prepare for Brexit. It will be updated if anything changes, including if a deal is agreed.

Sign up for email alerts to get the latest information.

Operating as an EEA company and group with a presence in the UK

Group accounts

Intermediate UK parent companies with an immediate EEA parent may not be exempt from producing group accounts after the UK leaves the EU. Find out if you need to prepare group accounts and file them with Companies House.

Annual accounts

UK registered dormant companies with EEA parents must file individual annual accounts with Companies House for accounting periods beginning after the UK leaves the EU.


EEA companies with a UK incorporated subsidiary will not be eligible for certain exemptions from preparing and filing accounts after the UK leaves the EU.

Exemption from producing non-financial information statements and alteration of accounting reference dates will be removed for financial periods beginning the day after the UK leaves the EU.

Operating as an EEA public company with UK listing

EU incorporated groups that issue debt or any other securities, which are admitted to trading on a UK market, can continue to use accounts prepared using EU-adopted international accounting standards (IAS) under the UK Transparency Directive (TD) and Prospectus Directive (PD).


Auditing EEA companies that issue securities that are admitted to trading on a UK regulated market

Make sure your EEA auditor is registered as either a:

  • statutory auditor in the UK
  • third country auditor on the register maintained by the Financial Reporting Council (FRC)

This will apply for all accounting years beginning on or after the day the UK leaves the EU.

EEA companies audited by UK auditors and firms that are also registered in EEA countries

UK auditors’ and audit firms’ existing registrations as EEA auditors and audit firms may not be valid after the UK leaves the EU. You should check with your auditor.

Accounting for UK companies in the EEA

Find out what you need to do if you’re a UK company operating in the EEA.