Detailed guide: Belgium: providing services and travelling for business after Brexit

Read More..

The authoritative source for Belgian market regulations is the Belgian government. This guidance links to official Belgian sources wherever possible.

Belgian trade and services regulations

If you’re a UK business providing services in Belgium, you’ll need to follow Belgian regulations about:

  • getting authorisations or licences to provide a service
  • complying with specific local business regulations
  • EEA nationality requirements which could prevent you from providing services in some sectors

The Belgian e-government portal for service providers can help you to:

  • find out what you need to know about providing services in Belgium
  • understand local regulations
  • complete the relevant administrative procedures online

Consider appointing an English-speaking lawyer in Belgium to help you comply with specific regulations.

Belgium may have regulated sectors where European Economic Area (EEA) nationality requirements could prevent you from providing services. The EEA includes EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

To find out if this applies to you, contact the appropriate competent authority.

VAT on sales of digital services

Businesses can use the UK’s VAT Mini One Stop Shop (MOSS) to declare sales of digital services to Belgian consumers made before Brexit.

If you wish to continue to use MOSS after the UK leaves the EU, you will need to register for MOSS in an EU member state.

Find out more about paying VAT on sales of digital services.

Ownership of Belgian-registered companies

If you have a UK business, you might face restrictions on your ability to own, manage or direct a registered company in Belgium or any other EEA country.

Read more about this in our guidance relating to the EEA and Switzerland.

If you’re a UK legal professional who has investments in law firms in Belgium, contact the Bar Council in Brussels for information on the implications for your investment.

Business travel and entry requirements

See the latest information on business travel to the EU after Brexit.

The Federal Public Service for Foreign Affairs website has more information about:

  • visas including intra-corporate transfers
  • work and residence permits
  • supporting documentation
  • other conditions

Social security payments for employees

If you’re sending employees to Belgium, they may need to make social security contributions in both the UK and the country in which they are working. Find out when you will need to pay social security contributions in the UK and other EU, EEA countries and Switzerland.

Recognition of professional qualifications

Find out if you need to take action by reading our general guidance relating to the EEA and Switzerland.

If you need to take action to secure the recognition of your professional qualification in Belgium, these sources can help you:

UK statutory auditors working in Belgium

For UK statutory auditors, the Belgian Audit Oversight College (site in French) should be able to provide further information.

UK lawyers working in Belgium

If you’re a UK-qualified lawyer working in Belgium, using either a Belgian or UK professional title, you should contact the local Bar association in the region in which you are working or the Bar Council in Brussels for specific advice.

Data transfer and GDPR

You may need to take action. Find out if you need to take action by reading our guidance relating to the EEA and Switzerland.

You may need to deal with the lead supervisory authority in Belgium. Find out more information from the Belgian Data Protection Authority.

Stay up to date

The UK will leave the EU on 31 October. This page tells you how to prepare for Brexit. It will be updated if anything changes, including if a deal is agreed.

Sign up for email alerts to get the latest information.