The Christmas Support Payment for wet-led pubs supports pubs that predominantly serve alcohol rather than provide food and have been severely impacted over the festive season due to temporary local restrictions.
Eligible businesses may be entitled to a one-off cash grant of £1,000 from their local council in areas under Tier 2 or Tier 3 local restrictions.
Local councils will use their discretion to identify the right businesses to receive this funding.
Your pub may be eligible if you:
- are based in England
- derive less than 50% of your sales from food
- are in an area subject to Tier 2 or Tier 3 local restrictions since 2 December 2020
- were established in the pub before 1 December 2020
Businesses excluded from the fund
You cannot get funding if your business:
- has exceeded the permitted state aid threshold
- is in administration, insolvent or has been struck off the Companies House register
You must notify your local council if your situation changes and you no longer meet the eligibility criteria.
If you already get state aid
The Christmas Support Payment (CSP) counts towards the total de minimis state aid you’re allowed to get over a 3 year period – €200,000.
If you have reached the de minimis threshold, you may still be eligible for funding under the COVID-19 Temporary Framework. The limit for this framework is €800,000.
Your local council will ask you to complete a declaration confirming that:
- you will not exceed the relevant state aid threshold
- you were not an ‘undertaking in difficulty’ on 31 December 2019 (this applies to the temporary framework only)
The undertaking in difficulty test does not apply to small and micro undertakings (less than 50 employees and less than €10 million of annual turnover or annual balance sheet), unless any of the following apply:
- the business is already in insolvency proceedings
- the business has received rescue aid that has not been repaid
- the business is subject to a restructuring plan under state aid rules
What you get
Local councils will use their discretion to determine whether businesses meet the eligibility criteria for this grant scheme.
Eligible businesses will be paid a one-off lump sum of £1,000.
How to apply
Visit your local council’s website to find out how to apply.