Detailed guide: Denmark: providing services and travelling for business from 1 January 2021

The authoritative source for Danish market regulations is the government of Denmark. This guidance links to official Danish sources wherever possible.

Denmark trade and services regulations

If you’re a UK business providing services in Denmark, you’ll need to follow Danish regulations about:

  • getting an authorisation or a licence to provide a service
  • complying with local business regulations
  • EEA nationality requirements which could prevent you from providing services in some sectors

Use the Danish Business Authority portal to:

  • find out about providing services in Denmark
  • understand local regulations
  • complete any relevant administrative procedures online

Consider appointing an English-speaking lawyer in Denmark to help you comply with specific regulations. You can also contact your local chamber of commerce for advice

To find out if EEA nationality requirements apply to you, contact the appropriate competent authority or the Danish Business Authority.

VAT on sales of digital services

Businesses can use the UK’s VAT Mini One Stop Shop (MOSS) to declare sales of digital services to Danish consumers made before 1 January 2021.

If you wish to continue to use MOSS from 1 January 2021, you will need to register for MOSS in an EU member state.

Find out more about paying VAT on sales of digital services.

Ownership of companies registered in Denmark

If you have a UK business, you might face restrictions on your ability to own, manage or direct a registered company in Denmark or any other EEA country.

Read more about this in our guidance relating to the EEA and Switzerland.

UK legal professionals who have investments in law firms in Denmark should contact the Danish Bar and Law Society for information on implications on those investments.

Business travel and entry requirements

See the latest information on business travel to the EU from 1 January 2021.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and New to Denmark websites have more information about:

  • visas including intra-corporate transfers
  • work and residence permits
  • supporting documentation
  • other conditions

The UK Government understands that UK nationals travelling from January 2021 can apply for work and residence permits now.

For advice on specific situations, companies in the UK and UK nationals can write to the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration using this website.

Social security payments for employees

If you’re sending employees to Denmark, they may need to make social security contributions in both the UK and Denmark.

Recognition of professional qualifications

Find out if you need to take action by reading our general guidance relating to the EEA and Switzerland.

Denmark has published guidance on professional qualifications for UK citizens in Denmark in the Ministry of Higher Education and Science Brexit page.

If you need to take action to secure the recognition of your professional qualification in Denmark, these sources can help you:

UK statutory auditors working in Denmark

For UK statutory auditors, the Danish Business Authority should be able to provide further information.

UK lawyers working in Denmark

If you’re a UK-qualified lawyer working in Denmark, using either a Danish or professional title, you should contact the local Bar association in the region in which you are working or the Danish Bar and Law Society (site in Danish) for specific advice.

Data transfer and GDPR

You may need to take action. Find out if you need to take action by reading our guidance relating to the EEA and Switzerland.

You may need to deal with the lead supervisory authority in Denmark. Find out more information from the Danish lead data protection authority, the Danish Data Protection Agency